Thursday, June 5, 2014

Beautiful People

When I was expanding my plot bunny yesterday, a certain character walked in and refused to leave.  His name was Matthew, and he had all sorts of persuasive arguments. "But you'll love me!  And I can add something to the story!  And have a romance and a happy ending!  And a whole character arc!  I WILL BE IN YOUR STORY WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT."
After that, of course, I had to give in, and Matthew, older brother of Edward, began to court his neighbor Irene just before the Great War.
So instead of writing down another plot bunny like I probably should, I'm going to do the Beautiful People link-up for him.

 1) What is their full name and is there a story behind why they got it? 
Matthew Benjamin Lawrence.  He was named after his grandfather.
2) How old are they, and when were they born? 
Matt is twenty, and he was born on February 2nd, 1897.
3) Describe their physical appearance. (Bonus questions: 1. What is their race/nationality/ethnicity? 2. Do you have a picture of them? If so, include it!) 
He's American, with some French ancestry.  He has dark blond hair and blue eyes and a very determined air in general.
And yes, I have a picture of him. :D  

4) Describe your character's personality first in one word, and then elaborate with a few sentences. 
Ehhmmm...noble.  Being upright and loyal and principled is very important to him.
5) What theme song(s) fit their personality and story arc? 
Hmmm.  Theme song.  Theme song..."The Color of Your Eyes," maybe.  Or "The Secret of Happiness".
6) Which one of the seven deadly sins describes your character?
Definitely pride.  He hates being undignified, and if he feels that his pride has been offended, he'll often just close up completely and give everyone the cold shoulder.  He can do it for weeks, too.
7) If they were an element (fire, water, earth, air), which one would they be? 
Hmmm.  Water, I think, though earth is a close second.
8) What is their favorite word? 
"Chivalry".  Also "laughter".
9) Who’s one person they really miss? (It could be someone who’s passed away, or someone they’re not close to anymore, or someone who’s moved away.)
Well, for most of the story he's away at war and misses his sweetheart Irene.  He also misses his sister Charity--he's always been pretty close to her.  And his mother, of course.  And he wishes his aunt Emma would visit more often; he's her favorite nephew.
10) What sights, sounds, and smells remind them of that person? 
The color red for Irene, and purple for Charity.  The scent of lavender for both of them...and Irene's handkerchief.

6 comments:

Ivy Miranda said...

What a creative character : ) I just did my link-up and it was really fun.

Jaime said...

Don't you just love when characters wiggle their way into the story? :) Sounds like he's an interesting fellow. :D

Beth said...

Love this character!!

Selena said...

After you described Matthew and noble and principled and honorable (or something to that effect), I was grinning to myself imagining him forcing his way into the story.

"You know, I really think this story would be better if I had a part in it."

....

"If you don't mind me saying, that scene was missing a little something that I might be able to add."

Okay, I admit, my inner dialogue is weird. XD

Unknown said...

I like this character! And that actor from Les Mis :).

DKH said...

Characters who force themselves into stories often end up stealing the show, I've learned. :P

Matthew sounds like an awesome character! I'd love to read more about him :)